Friday, October 8, 2010

Mysticism

Reading Jon Katz' review of his new book (http://www.bedlamfarm.com/blog/2010/10/07/writers-life-rationality-vs-mysticism/) and thinking about how much we project on our dogs. I do agree that my canine companions are guides to me. However, I'm not sure that it says as much about them as it does about me.

It's a curious phenomena that I am so hungry for mysticism and spirit in my life that the 'place' where I project it is onto my dogs. It's natural in some ways - we feel so lacking in our connection to the Earth and dogs are so much more connected. However, it's a curious place to focus our connection - on these beings who are so symbiotic with us.

It's also a large burden for beings who may have come to us just because we provided an easy meal. And, that seems to be the heart of some essential conflict in our lives. We find Spirit outside ourselves, no longer view ourselves as connected, as worthy on our own.

Yesterday's article on how the head of the Southern Baptist Convention stated that yoga isn't 'Christian.'. Oh, my. It seems to me that Spirit and connection are where we find them. And, grand pronouncements that 'this' is worthy of connection and 'that' is not just leave me cold and angry and, to be honest, disappointed.

There's a part of my life that is just that small too. I know it's there because of the way that I felt so angry about this. And,if yoga isn't a worthy path I'm quite sure my dogs aren't either.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: