Sunday, August 19, 2012

Teaching

This fall begins a new phase for me. I'll be teaching for the first time. (That is, teaching at a University.) And I'm teaching research. Who would have thought???

I'm feeling incredibly uncomfortable with this role. What comes up for me is the feeling that I don't know enough. That I won't do it right. That I can't think clearly enough. That I haven't had enough experience to do this.

And, I have these moments of being excited - very, very excited.

I'm having a hard time focusing on getting ready, though. I keep wanting to do everything except what I need to do (that is, finish my syllabus). Today, I started outlining chapters in the text book. It's one of those situations where I have a base power point and syllabus to work from. I'm struggling with how to make it my own - how to 'own' the subject and be able to inject enthusiasm and 'magic' into the teaching. How to capture the students to teach them something that I love and cherish. How to help them think and learn to be life long learners and practitioners who aren't afraid to ask 'what if' in a way that moves them forward and helps their clients to achieve their goals.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: